Scones have been one of my favorite items to make since I was little (and my mom showed me her tricks). They look so gourmet and there are so many varieties! You can make savory and sweet (my favorite is savory). When it was decided that said baby shower was going to be a tea party I jumped at the opportunity to make these delightful treats. I made three varieties; blueberry, cheddar cheese and chocolate chip!
My preferred way to eat them is right out of the oven (nice and warm); however they are delicious warm or cold (even better days later as long as they are sealed in a container)! To jazz up this party I also brought some homemade strawberry jam (I also picked the strawberries and canned the jam this spring) and some honey butter. Aren't they pretty!
Scones (make it your way)
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup filling of your choice (some suggestions: fresh blueberries, raspberries, chocolate chips, fresh grated sharp cheddar cheese, swiss cheese and ham you name it)
1/2 cup milk
extra sugar (for the top of sweet scones)
extra cheese (for the top of savory scones)
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Combine the dry ingredients
- Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (if you don't have a pastry blender, which I don't, you can take the butter and break it up by hand to resemble coarse crumbs. The best way to do this is to take your stick butter and cut it into small squares. Once you have done that toss each of the squares in the dry ingredients so they have flour on each of them. Individually take each square and start breaking off small pieces of butter and tossing them into the flour. Once you have done this to each square your butter will resemble course crumbs)
- Stir in blueberries
- Add milk
- 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk (reserve 1 egg white)
- Stir with fork until all ingredients are moist and generally mixed together
- Take dough and form into small round balls and stick on baking sheet (should make 12 to 18 small to medium size scones)
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar or cheese (as directed above)
- Bake at 425 F for 12-15 min.
- Serve hot with butter or homemade jam (both recipes to come in a later post)