I have a few confessions to start this post with.
- This is the first time I have ever made steak (yes first time...at 30 years old)
- This dish was so delicious, that I was only able to get one decent photo (and I don't even think the photo is that great).
- I got to use my Le Creuset Skillet
- I will not go 30 years again without cooking steak
- This was adapted from The Pioneer Women's Beef and Snow Peas
- I use microwave brown rice. When you are cooking for two, this is a really great option.
- My husband gave this dish an 8 out of 10 (which is good on his ratings scale)
With all that said, you should VERY much make this dish ASAP! I will be making this again (and will try different vegetable variations and potentially mixed meats (Chicken and shrimp come to mind). This is a great quick dinner that is packed full of protein and under 600 calories (including the rice). Like I said you must make this ASAP!!!
Ingredients (I made this recipe for two):
- 0.75 pound Flank Steak (fat trimmed and sliced thin)
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Sherry
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp frech ginger, grated on the microplane
- 1 cup fresh snow peas (washed with the ends chopped)
- 4 scallions, washed and chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper
- Brown Rice
- Trim the fat off the steak and slice thin (against the grain)
- In a bowl mix together soy sauce, sherry, brown sugar, corn starch and grated ginger.
- Pour 1/3 liquid on sliced meat (reserve the other 2/3 of the liquid)
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet over high heat. Add snow peas and scallions and cook for 1 to 2 minutes (cooked but still crunchy). Once cooked, set aside
- In the same skillet, cook meat 1 layer at a time (generally you will need to repete this step 2 to 3 times depending on the size of your skillet). Once you put down your first layer of meat, let is sit until it starts to brown on one side and then flip over. Once your first layer is cooked remove and set aside with the snow peas. Repete until all meat is cooked
- Add steak and snow peas back into the iron skillet and top with remaining sauce
- Cook for 2 to 4 minutes (until everything is mixed and heated thoroughly
- Serve over brown rice and top with additional crushed red pepper